Welcome to February’s edition of Money While You Sleep. It seems as an economy we continue to live in questionable times. From seeing Covid coming to an end I think, to Russia invading Ukraine lets hope there are better times ahead. Nothing feels good in the world when you know innocent people are being killed over money and power.
February for us was very busy, it went by way too quick and seems work is back to pre covid times. Being in the oil and gas industry we have seen a pick up in project work, not shocking based on oil prices. Here’s a few things we have been up to before we get down to the portfolio:
- Started the basement renovation by installing R+ Dricore subfloor. Next step framing!
- The kids and I started making homemade bread, buns and pizza dough. So much better than store bought!
- Celebrated my beautiful wife’s birthday with family and friends at the West Edmonton Waterpark
- Wife got her Peloton that she wanted
With how messed up the markets have been acting, I’m happy to report that all 4 accounts were in the green in February without allocating any new money to these accounts. Thanks to the banks, oil & gas and Gold miners they really helped the portfolio to offset other under performing names.
Here’s a breakdown of allocation:
December breakdown 71.4% Blue Chip, 24.7% Growth and 3.9% Cash
February breakdown 74.7% Blue Chip, 24.8% Growth and 0.6% Cash
No sells this month
No sells this month
Dividend increases and decreases
- Exco Technologies Limited (XTC.TO) increased 5%
- Barrick Gold Corporation (ABX.TO) increased 11%
- Quebecor Inc. (QBR-B.TO) increased 9%
- Brookfield Renewable Corporation (BEPC.TO) increased 8%
2016 – 2022 Dividends
February showed some nice growth. Dividends received were $291.20, which is a year over year increase of 49%. We have set out our annual goal of $5,000 for 2022, which is going to require additional dividend increases in 2022. Chart below shows YTD dividends. Currently 13% to $5,000.
|EXE.TO||$7.60||Yes, 1 share||TFSA 1|
|CSH.UN||$16.63||Yes, 1 share||TFSA 1|
|PLZ.UN||$10.69||Yes, 2 shares||TFSA 1|
|POW.TO||$73.26||Yes, 1 share||TFSA 1|
Growth names in February got absolutely hammered. This is definitely creating some potential opportunity. I suggest you make your watch list as I’m sure some of these valuations will allow for a nice long-term opportunities.
Sectors I’m currently looking at
- Oil and Gas
Current Dividend watch list (Already own 6 of 7)
- Alimentation Couche-Tard Inc (NEW)
- Innovative Industrial Properties, Inc (NEW)
- Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp
- Brookfield Renewable Partners L.P.
Current Growth watch list (Already own 5 of the 7)
- Facebook (NEW)
- Alibaba Group Holding Limited
- Nuvei Corporation
- WELL Health
- Good Natured Products
- Bragg Gaming Group
- BRP Inc
Thanks for reading and feel free to leave a comment!
Invest in yourself
Disclosure: I wrote this article myself, and it expresses my own opinions. I am not receiving compensation for it. Please ensure you do your own research.